Monday, December 19, 2005

An Aussie Cold

Yup, I have finally succumbed to the bird flu. Oh my goodness... I am too young to die! Oh wait, no, its just a regular cold. Sorry the media hysteria caught me in its grip. But I have spent the weekend nursing a lovely little Australian bug. Yummy. Its pretty standard- runny nose, watery eyes, sneezing, headache, sore throat. But I actually feel a lot better today.

Which is good since I went to work. Not that I was nearly as productive as I could have been- was doing some extremely boring data input and had a hard time staying focused. I guess that's a bullet for my review at the beginning of January! But I have tomorrow off, which is nice. I have a doctor's appt (nothing serious just this cold and I haven't been since we came so I have some paperwork to fill out. And I think I totally missed my booster shot for Hepatitis. So might be getting another shot tomorrow. Yay) and I think we might go see King Kong. Tuesday is the cheaper day at the movies and since Eric and I both have it off, might be something fun to do. I did listen to the radio for an hour yesterday about KK and Peter Jackson, the movie and the videogame. I learned so much more than I ever needed to know about it!

Another fun Oz fact I picked up today (one day I am going to make a book of Oz facts) In this country its mandatory that you vote. I was like, wow. Seriously, even in the local elections for council and stuff. If you don't vote you get a letter in the mail and a fine. I got a strange look when I said that I think only around 20% or so of Americans vote. I really don't know the statistics but I know that a lot of Americans don't vote. Its funny to me when I get those strange looks sometimes.

Also, you get speeding tickets in the mail. I have heard of this in the US but always like a rumor. Nope, here you get a letter with a picture of your vehicle, and the notice of your fine. My neighbor got one just the other day. Her husband thought she must have been driving- then she got out the calendar and said "Nope- I was at a meeting that day!" Pretty funny that they send you the time and date so you know exactly who to blame.

Someone imitated my accent today. Well, they did a general "American" accent but were pretending to be me picking up the phone for the company. Anyhow, although it was pretty funny at the time, I have never before realized how obnoxious it sounds to the person with the accent (me!) when another person imitates it. Weird. I am going to so steer clear of ever doing another country's accent outside the comfort of my own home. But hey, I'm just a bloody Yank, LOL.

Well I better go make some more soup and chill on the couch for a while. Have a ton of knitting to do... trying to get a baby blanket done. Once I am finished I'll take a picture of it and put it up here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home