Monday, July 03, 2006

Territory Day

We got to watch some fireworks this weekend. The Aussies call them crackers- and they were definitely loud. It was the celebration of Territory Day, when the NT (Northern Territory) first declared self government. It was a long, long time ago... 1978 to be exact. Strange to realize that you live somewhere that's been self governing for almost the same amount of time you've been alive!

The fireworks were neat, especially since its 4th of July weekend for everyone "back home". Although I thought a blazing hot Christmas felt weird, apparently a cold Independence Day feels weirder. We put our down comforter on the bed last week and its been nice to snuggle into at night. Another oz slang word for you- doona. AKA comforter, down comforter, ect.

I am becoming a television addict. I've dedicated Monday nights to prime time telly, especially now that Grey's Anatomy is back on. The programming is different- they cut of GA in the middle of season 2 (around November) and are now playing the rest of season 2 (last week was Thanksgiving) and apparently will barrel right into season 3 when it begins in September. Its a different way of doing it but at least I don't have some cliffhanger in May and have to wait until September until its resolved. I'm also into Desperate Housewives, but the season for that is strange, also. I watched the season finale when I was in the US so I haven't been too neurotic about catching every little DH detail since I know major story points. Its still very entertaining, and I forget how easy it is to be caught up in the soap opera until its Monday night and I am stationed in front of the tube again. And last but not least I watch Smallville (I can't wait to see the new Superman movie) on Tuesday nights, but sometimes this interferes with volleyball. What a geek I am! The good news is I get all my TV time in the first two days of the week and then I don't watch a whole lot more.

Well enough blathering on about my schedule. I have to work tomorrow and still need to shower, so I am off again, soon to be snug under my doona! :)

5 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is SO nice to have you "back" on the blog. Crackers, huh? I would take some of the cool...at least there aren't so MANY bangers this year in Las Cruces...they were outlawed, so only the outlaws are shooting them off so far.

HAve a wonderful 4th tomorrow, or today or wheneverthehell it is over there.

love and hugs,
AL

 
At 3:45 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Well they may only be having "controlled" fireworks after this year. People are still shooting them off, even though its illegal. Plus a lot of people did stupid things over the weekend.

Today is my 4th- I am going to celebrate by watching Smallville! Love ya!

 
At 3:47 AM, Blogger Katie said...

PS- looking at the post before this- bananas are now $15 a kilo. Just thought I would share! :)

 
At 8:01 PM, Blogger outoutout said...

Hey fellow Territorian...

Territory Day is not really "independence" as such, it's just the day that the NT was given the power to govern itself like a state. Before that, we were directly controlled by the Federal government.

Not that it means anything. You may remember when we voted NOT to have nuclear waste dump in our backyard? The Federal government overrode it. They can override anything if they want to do something.

Oh, and as for controlling the fireworks? They've been saying that for YEARS now. It'll never happen. This is the NT! :-) Up here in Darwin, they actually blew up a very nice self-cleaning public toilet with firecrackers. And the mood is like, oh well! hahahaha

Do you have farmers markets down there? We get our bananas for around $4 per kilo from the local growers.

 
At 6:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love the blog. No fireworks in Arizona at all because of the fires. Robert would like to learn some more Aussie words, and our nephew Jarad wants us to bring him a digereedo (sp?) See ya soon. Love, mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home