Saturday, February 18, 2006

Home again!

So I finally made it home on Valentine's day. Just in time to see my sweetheart, awww. :) It was nice to be back in my own house, in my own bed. I did have a hard time the first couple of days remembering how incredibly far away Australia is from everybody, but I'm doing much better now. I also feel like I am finally starting to recover from the jet lag- who knew how tired it makes you! For some reason didn't seem as bad on the way out but maybe its cause I was so excited about seeing everyone. I woke up at about 8:30 this morning and should be in bed around 10 or so tonight. Trying to get back on a normal schedule so that when I go back to work Monday things won't seem so bad.

Eric did take me out to dinner on Tuesday night. That was quite sweet of him! We went to my favorite Italian restaurant, and my food was awesome. His was okay, but we had a crappy waitress. He tried to order a calzone, but they brought a pizza. And she kept trying to clear us out of the table- granted it was V-day and they were pretty busy but we had reservations for 7 and left at 8:10, which to me isn't a very long dinner. Anyhow- it was very sweet. Then we came home and I tried to stay awake long enough to shower and get ready for bed, and Eric gave me a really sweet card. Which is good, cause I didn't get him a card. Well, I did but it got left behind in my travels and I never picked up a new one. But I did get him some presents from my trip. And I got a present for us, which is this cute scrapbook called "The Story of Us" that I thought it would be fun to fill out. Not that I've done my wedding scrapbook *sigh* and that's only been 4 years... But now I have a good project to get me started on sorting through all sorts of pics I brought with me out here. Its one of my resolutions this year- to get my picture projects done!

Enough with the rambling about being a permanent procrastinator. We went for a drive Thursday and found a beautiful park that we'd like to go hiking in. When its not 100 degrees with swarms of flies out, of course. Its about 100 k from here and had the prettiest rock formations. Maybe we will go camping out there if it ever cools off, which I am starting to doubt. Here is a picture of the area by the gorge:


We imagined that if it ever rains, there must be an awesome waterfall that falls down that rock formation. Don't know if we will ever see it, though!

Another cool thing we saw was a historic "ghost gum" tree. These trees are some type of Eucalyptus tree that grow around here but they have this iridescent white bark that really stands out with all the red and brown in the area. This is the biggest one I've ever seen- especially when you think of the water supply a tree that big has to have. According to the sign it is over 300 years old. Amazing, isn't it? And Eric is standing in front of it, to give you an idea of how big it is. And yes, I should have gotten the whole tree in the picture. However, imagine me standing there trying to take this in the scorching heat with a swarm of flies trying to get into my ears, nose, mouth, eyes, ugh. It was not very pleasant.

We packed a picnic lunch but gave in to the flies and ate it in the car. We also saw a sign for John's rockhole, and curiosity got the better of us. Once we finally made it up the 4WD track to get there, we did get out and hike the 100 metres to the hole. Apparently rockhole is the same thing as waterhole- it was pretty, but the scuzzy green water was kind of gross. Made us laugh when we saw the "no swimming" sign. It was a hot day, but I don't think I could ever be hot enough to get in the scuzzy water. Not for me!

Well that was pretty much the highlight of the week. Eric works all weekend so I have just been catching up on my laundry, watching the tube, and sleeping. Pretty boring.

Work should be interesting when I go back. They are currently remodeling the building I am in so my supervisor warned me to wear "not so good" clothes. She said it has been smelly and loud in there. I can't wait to see how bad it is- as long as the a/c (or air con as they call it here) is working that's all I care about.

Will post more soon- have to have more than 2 posts for the month of February!

1 Comments:

At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How WONDERFUL to read about you settling back in. While it was so good to see you, it is more comforting to know how much you and Eric love each other and have FUN together. Even if you are about a million miles from us. I leave for Costa Rica on the 27th. Let's talk before? Love from THE aunt.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home